Fruites de Mer is an excellent seafood and vegetable soup. Plus, in my opinion, this qualifies as vegetarian too.
We were given this tagine as a gift and it was an absolute joy to use. We will definitely be using it more in the future. As we were cooking this meal, we kept thinking a tagine would be great for entertaining friends around a table and just nibbling at the goodies inside. (We may add this to our fondu pot for New Years Eve!)
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. This is a strait-forward and easy recipe to make.
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil (you can also use olive oil)
- 8 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1.5 Tbsp Berbere *See below if you don’t have this. I didn’t and this worked great.
- 2 Carrots cut into matchsticks
- 2 Parsnips cut into matchsticks
- 1 Zucchini cut into matchsticks
- 1 Onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into thin slices
- 1.2 green bell pepper cut into thin slices
- 1 1/4 cup chicken both (hopefully you saved some from the last time you boiled a chicken)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb of Salmon cut into chunks- Preferably one you caught wild (see Woods and Water for fishing tips)
- 24 jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 24 mussels
* Berbere is impossible to find. I looked it up and it is just the following: This will make 1 cup.
- 1/2 cup chile powder
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
I just put a dash of each of the smaller ingredients in, and a little more of the paprika, salt, and chile powder.
Start by heating the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and berbere and cook for 4 minutes. The garlic will soften, but not turn color.
Add the carrots, parsnips, zucchini, onion, and red and green peppers, stirring for one minute to coat with the oil.
Add the chicken broth, wine, cilantro, and bring to a boil.
Add the salmon, shrimp, and mussels. Stir lightly, cover, and let sit on low heat for 20 minutes.
If you are planning a meal, this would be very nice with some couscous and croustini. Enjoy!