LiveDan330.com has a new cookbook! We are running a series of posts on grilled cheese recipes to promote it. If you like this cheesecake French toast recipe, you will love the book. Grilled and Cheesy: 12 Gourmet Grilled Cheeses Easily Made at Home showcases “The Leviathan” which won the Boars Head Boldest Bracket contest in 2014, as well as “The Springly,” a gruyere cheese and asparagus sandwich. It also includes a Hawaiian version of a grilled cheese, an avocado and egg breakfast sandwich, and a decadent cheesecake-filled french toast. Grilled and Cheesy is available through Amazon here:
This is not for the faint of heart. If you think French Toast is rich to start, you won’t believe how rich it is with a cheesecake filling. Really make sure you cook this slowly so the entire sandwich gets cooked through. You can make this for breakfast or for dessert.
- 10 oz cream cheese warmed to room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- splash of vanilla
- 2 tsp flour (you may need a little more)
- 1 cup milk
To make the Cheesecake filling
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, heavy whipping cream, one egg, sour cream, vanilla and 2 tsp flour.
2. Mix well.
3. If the batter is too runny, add flour a little at at time until it is the consistency of pudding.
To make the French Toast batter
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, two eggs and 1/4 cup sugar.
1. Dredge two pieces of bread in the French Toast batter.
2. Heat a skillet on low heat and place the first piece of bread on it.
3. Lay a spoonful of the cheesecake filling on the bread and cover it with the second piece.
4. The cheesecake filling needs to cook, so make sure the temperature is on low. Flip when golden brown and serve with berries and powdered sugar. What a sweet way to start or end your day!