Dan330.com has a new cookbook! We are running a series of posts on grilled cheese recipes to promote it. If you like this recipe, you will love the book. Grilled and Cheesy: 12 Gourmet Grilled Cheeses Easily Made at Home showcases “The Leviathan” which won the Boars Head Boldest Bracket contest in 2014, as well as “The Springly,” a gruyere cheese and asparagus sandwich. It also includes this sandwich; a Hawaiian Grilled Cheese, an avocado and egg breakfast sandwich, and a decadent cheesecake-filled french toast. Grilled and Cheesy is available through Amazon here:
This sandwich is as heavenly as Hawaii itself. The mustard sauce, ham and pineapple just melt in your mouth. Since making this, it has become a go-to sandwich at my house. If you make one sandwich in this book make this one. Actually, scratch that. Try them all! You won’t be disappointed when you do.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- dash of worcestershire
- 2 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 1/2 tbsp Grey Poupon mustard
- deli ham
- Hawaiian bread
To make the mustard sauce
1. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Mix in the parmesan cheese, worcestershire, shallot, and Grey Poupon mustard.
3. Set aside.
To fry the pineapple
1. Cut the pineapple into slices and core the middle.
2. Melt a small amount of butter in a saucepan and cook the pineapple.
3. Flip so both sides are golden brown and buttery.
The first two things you must do is to prepare the ham and the top bun.
1. Start by dredging the ham in the mustard sauce so that the ham is well coated.
2. Butter the top bun and fry in a pan and set aside. You want to fry the inside of the bun as this sandwich has the bun “inside out” for more even browning.
3. Now, butter the bottom bun, place on a frying pan, again inside out, and layer the rest of the ingredients in this order: First add the dredged ham, then drizzle a little more mustard sauce, add the cooked pineapple (you may want to cut it so it fits), and end with provolone cheese. Finally, add the already cooked top with the inside on the outside so that it’s resting on the cheese. The cheese will melt and stick the bun to the sandwich.
4. Cover with tinfoil and cook on medium low heat until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese is melted. The entire sandwich should be eaten hot. It is gooey, sweet, salty deliciousness! This is a great sandwich to take a bite of, close your eyes and imagine you are on the beautiful sand beaches of Hawaii. It transports you and, if you were on the fence before, helps you pull the trigger on that trip you’ve been dreaming of!
For more about our food category click HERE.
For more great recipes click HERE.
Do you have a recipe to share? We would love to hear from you. Submit your recipes HERE.