Why Hydronic Floor Heating Systems Are So Effective And Energy Efficient
Two of the main arguments made in favour of hydronic floor heating systems are that they are incredibly effective and energy efficient. Whilst it is one thing to make grand claims, it is another entirely to live up to them. If you are hesitant to make the switch because you aren’t sure that they are all that effective or energy efficient, we hope that the following list of points will allay your fears.
- The principles of hydronic floor heating go back to Roman times. There is no way that the design would have survived had it not provided an effective level of warmth to the home.
- These systems work by heating the objects in a room (which are often based low to the floor, closer to where we are) rather than the air. The objects will store the heat and will heat the air (similar to the sun).
- As our bodies grow hotter than the surrounding air, heat loss will be prevented. One of the main reasons that we feel cold is because we are losing heat faster than we make it.
- Due to evenly distributed heat and no circulating air (which eliminates drafts), you will find that lower thermostat settings of around 22 degrees Celsius are actually quite comfortable.
- The most energy efficient way to heat your home is on a room-by-room basis, which you are able to achieve with these systems. This allows you to only heat those spaces that you are using.
- The presence of thermostatic cycling and zoning helps you to achieve higher levels of temperature control and to reduce your electricity costs by as much as 50%.
- These systems are considered to be 100% efficient, as all of the energy used in its operation is converted to heat. This means that none of the precious energy is wasted.
- There is minimal chance of breakdown, as fans, ducting and moving parts (the most common components to break down in other systems) have been eliminated.
- The absence of air movement helps us to maintain our body temperatures, which means that we need to have the heating on less and that it can be lower.
- A quick response time also means that less power is used. You will find that your home warms up much faster and you can turn the system off much sooner than previously.
- Warmth is generated at your feet, which is the part of your body that feels the cold the most. You will find that, when your feet feel warm, the rest of your body is comfortable.
- Your floor will literally become your heating system, which means that you don’t need to worry about unattractive ducts and bulky panel radiators that take up valuable space.
We hope that you now have a greater understanding of the effectiveness and energy efficiency of hydronic floor heating systems. Whilst we accept that these systems certainly a little more expensive to purchase and install, the savings that you will make down the track are more than worth it. You can also improve the efficiency of your heating with proper insulation.