3 Aspects to Look for As You Choose the best Home Alarm Systems
Today there is an alarming increase in crimes, especially robberies and break-ins. This has made home alarm systems mandatory. Many home owners prefer installing the best security systems in order to enjoy peace of mind.
Telephone monitoring services offer electronic home alarm systems. These systems are connected to the phone lines and these services respond to calls. They offer fire and medical emergency services apart from tracking burglaries.
Home alarm systems linked to the central response office are called monitored systems. Those that are just linked to the alarm set up around your home are called non-monitored alarms. Before you buy the right alarm system for your home, it is important to know the types of home alarm systems available.
- Unmonitored home alarm systems
- If you are on a tight budget and yet wish to protect your home from break-ins, you can go for the affordable unmonitored home alarm systems.
- This system flashes the exterior lights as well as sounds a loud siren or automatically dials the local police when it detects an intruder.
- Here you do not have to pay monthly fees. However, in case of false alarms, you will be fined by the local police. Depending on the time of the break-in, you cannot be sure that your neighbors will respond on time. You cannot even be sure of the police response.
- Monitored home alarm systems
- If you decide on installing a monitored home alarm system, then you must pay a fee for installation apart from a monthly fee. For the duration of the contract, you can choose from various options.
- Through the standard phone lines, the central monitoring station receives information from the control panel of the system in case it receives an intruder signal.
- With the help of the intercom or the telephone, the station will contact you within seconds. You must provide your pass code and name for verification and if you fail to do so, the police will be sent immediately by the monitoring station.
Choosing a monitored system requires you to provide complete information about the contracts. The monitoring station will require you to sign the primary, secondary and tertiary contract and whenever you are going out of station, you need to notify them.
If you are looking to cut cost, you can choose smaller companies which sell security systems. Here you have to contact with third party stations. This is not a good idea as bigger companies are more reliable and trustworthy.
Usually the larger home alarm companies cost more as they are verified by non-profit, independent UL or Underwriters Laboratories. To ensure optimum reliability and safety, all their products are tested and approved by UL. Large monitoring companies watch over thousands of businesses and homes through their central monitoring system. In case of power outage, these companies have at least fifteen days of backup power.
- Choose between wireless or wired home alarm systems
Wireless and wired are the two types of home alarm systems you can choose from. In both the systems, there is a central control unit that receives communication from sensors placed in strategic places throughout the home. The alarm is linked to the internet connection or automatic telephone dialer or to an alarm all of which summons help.
Low voltage wires are used to connect the wired security system. This means, wires have to run through your home to areas connected to the system. For this, you may have to take the help of the alarm company as the wires have to be installed discreetly.
Wireless security system on the other hand comes with the central control unit that is signaled by the tiny radio transmitters in case of intrusion. This system is easy to install but is not as reliable as the wired system.