Things to Do In The Lake Vermilion Area
You are heading up north! Thats Great! If you are staying with us, you have already probably seen our awesome cabins, Creekside Cabin at Elbow Lake Lodge and End of The Road Cabin. Regardless whether you are staying with us or not, we have a lot of great things to do in the Lake Vermilion Area listed below. We want you to have a wonderful vacation and have put some of our favorite things to do in the area. After all, we are travel bloggers.
On the Drive / Tips Before You Arrive
From the Twin Cities, Elbow Lake and Lake Vermilion are just under four hours. I put a list of some of my favorite rest stops for food, exploring, and stretching below:
- Rest stops from the Twin Cities: Minnesota Rest Stops
- Make sure to get your meat at F&D Meats in Virginia, Minnesota!
- If you need a break and have time to kill, check out the Hinkley Fire Museum.
- For great caramel rolls visit Tobies in Hinkley.
- Scenic overlook in Virginia, Minnesota: Mineview In The Sky.
Day Trips Around Lake Vermilion
We are located on Elbow Lake. Lake Vermilion is a much larger and busier lake than ours but is better known. That is why I write this from the “Lake Vermilion Area.” (But between you and I there really isn’t much of a comparison 😉 – Just don’t tell my Lake Vermilion friends)
- Falls and Park Day Trip. Visit the highlights of the Vermilion River in 1/2 to 1 day.
- The Vermilion Falls just south of Crane Lake. It is about a 45 minute drive from Elbow Lake Lodge.
- The Vermilion Gorge sits on the edge of Voyageurs National Park and is the culmination of the Vermilion River as it flows into Crane Lake.
- Grab a bite at Crane Lake / Voygaire Houseboats.
Other Tips To Make Your Vacation Great
- Make Smores! Here’s a page with ton’s of S’more Recipes
- Pick Blueberries. Wild blueberries are all over up north. Here’s a page with our favorite blueberry recipes.